When your child catches a cold, their body needs time to fight off the virus and get back to normal. Cold medications like Dayquil help speed up the process by reducing some of the symptoms of a cold. As with any medication, parents should take caution and read the instructions before administering Dayquil to their child. Read on to find out how long Dayquil works, how it is administered, and its potential side effects.
How Long Does Dayquil Work?
- Dayquil works best when taken at the first sign of a cold. It can be used to help relieve symptoms of a cold within three days after the onset of symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic. The sooner you start taking Dayquil, the sooner you’ll be able to get rid of your cold.
- Dayquil can also be used to treat symptoms that have lasted for more than three days but less than four weeks. For example, if your child has had a runny nose and sore throat for a week and a half, they may benefit from Dayquil. If they have had these symptoms for longer than four weeks, they should consult with their doctor as there are other treatments available at this point.
- Your child or you can take Dayquil by mouth with water or another drink 15 minutes before going to bed or 30 minutes after waking up in the morning on an empty stomach (with no food). The medication works best when it is taken at night so that your child can get a full night’s sleep.
- Dayquil comes in liquid and tablet form. It is important to mix the liquid with at least four ounces of water before drinking it for the best results. The liquid form of Dayquil tastes better than the tablet form, according to the manufacturer.
- Dayquil should be taken as long as symptoms persist or until your doctor advises you to stop using it, which can be up to five days after symptoms begin. If you or your child experience any side effects while taking Dayquil, contact your doctor immediately because there are other treatments available at this point that may not have as many side effects.
- If your child is younger than two years old, they should not take Dayquil without talking to their doctor first because it could cause serious side effects in this age group (see below). Adults over 65 years old and children older than 12 years old should also be.
How To Take Dayquil
- Dayquil is for children over the age of two. Adults can take Dayquil too, but it should be given in smaller doses.
- Take one tablet every four hours as needed for symptoms of a cold.
- Do not take more than eight tablets in any 24-hour period.
- Do not give Dayquil to your child if they have a stomach ulcer or have been on antibiotics within the past two weeks.
- Do not give Dayquil to children who have asthma or who are allergic to aspirin or other pain relievers such as Advil, Tylenol, or Motrin unless directed by the doctor or pharmacist.
Side Effects Of Dayquil
Some children experience nausea when they take Dayquil. This is because of the way the medication works (by reducing the number of viruses in your child’s body). If your child experiences nausea after taking Dayquil, you can try giving them some ginger to help stop nausea.
If your child takes Dayquil while they are sleeping, they could experience drowsiness. Because this medication can make children sleepy, it should not be given to children who have trouble sleeping due to a medical condition or who are on a sleep aid like Ambien or Lunesta. These medications work by stopping your body from producing melatonin – a hormone that helps you fall asleep. Giving these medications to someone who is already taking this type of medication could lead to serious side effects – including death! If you believe your child has taken one of these medications and become too drowsy, contact the manufacturer for advice on what steps to take.
3. Appetite Loss
Some children experience appetite loss after taking Dayquil. This is because the medication works by reducing your child’s appetite and making them feel nauseous. If your child has trouble eating or loses their appetite, you can give them a small meal or snack before they take Dayquil to help increase their appetite and prevent them from becoming too hungry.
If your child takes Dayquil while they are walking, they could experience dizziness. This is because the medication works by reducing the number of viruses in your child’s body which can reduce blood flow to the brain and make you feel dizzy. If this happens, stop taking the medication immediately and call your doctor for advice on what steps to take next.
Tips For Using Dayquil
1. Follow The Directions.
Like any other medication, Dayquil is meant to be used as directed. If you have any questions about how long Dayquil should be taken, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking it. It’s important to note that even though Dayquil is available in many different forms, such as a liquid and an over-the-counter tablet, it is still the same drug in each form. It’s also important to remember that the dosage strength of Dayquil will vary between different bottles and tablets.
2. Avoid Taking Dayquil With Food.
The best time to take Dayquil is when you’re not eating anything because your body can absorb the drug more easily if you’re not swallowing anything at the same time. If you do eat or drink something while taking Dayquil, it can potentially reduce its effectiveness so you should avoid food or drink altogether when using this medication for cold symptoms.
3. Drink Plenty Of Fluids.
It’s also important to drink plenty of fluids when taking Dayquil because it can cause dehydration. Dehydration can make it harder for your body to fight off cold viruses, so drinking enough fluids is vital. Your doctor will recommend how much you should drink and when, but drinking at least eight glasses of water a day will help keep your body functioning normally and prevent any sickness from developing.
4. Take Dayquil With Food Or Drink.
It’s best to take Dayquil with food or drink because it helps the medication absorb more easily through your stomach and intestines, which will make sure the drug reaches your bloodstream quickly and effectively. If you’re on a tight schedule, you can take Dayquil with a snack before going out or while you’re at school or work instead of taking it right before bedtime so that you can absorb the drug throughout the day instead of just one time.
5. Avoid Dayquil If You Have Other Medical Conditions.
It’s important to note that Dayquil is only meant for children ages 6 months and older, so it’s not recommended for children younger than this age. If you have a medical condition that makes you more susceptible to colds and viruses, such as asthma or diabetes, you shouldn’t take Dayquil because it can potentially cause more severe side effects in these cases. If you’re unsure whether or not you should take Dayquil, talk with your doctor before doing so.
Cold and flu medications like Dayquil can be very helpful in quickly treating symptoms. With the right dose and administration, Dayquil can be effective for up to 12 hours. Be sure to read the instructions before administering Dayquil to your child. Also, consider consulting a doctor if the symptoms are severe or do not improve after taking Dayquil.