The simple answer is no. There are some interesting circumstances, however, that might make you think twice about hitting that next duck with your car. In general, you cannot get in legal trouble for hitting a duck with your car. In most states, it is perfectly acceptable to hit a duck or goose with your car because they are migratory birds and this isn’t considered to injure them or destroy their property. If you live near water, you may have heard of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act which protects all types of birds, including geese and ducks. Any location that falls under the jurisdiction of this act can have laws that protect migratory birds from being injured or killed, including geese and ducks. If hitting a duck with your car is illegal in your state or city, it’s probably because of this act.
Is It Illegal To Hit A Duck With Your Car?
If hitting a duck is against the law, is it also illegal to hit a goose with your car? This is one of the first questions people have when they learn hitting a duck or goose with your car can be illegal. Migratory birds, like ducks and geese, are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. This act makes it illegal to injure or kill any migratory birds in America. This includes hitting a duck or goose with your car. Many people wonder if it is a felony to hit a duck with your car.
Why Is Hitting A Duck With Your Car Illegally?
1. The Animal Protection Act Of 1999
The Animal Protection Act of 1999 states that animals should be protected against cruelty, abuse, and exploitation. It also states that animals should be legally protected against “unnecessary suffering, injury, and death,” meaning that many of the laws on this list exist to protect the well-being of all animals. This does, therefore, mean that it is a crime to hit a duck with your car in the U.S. and in many other countries around the world too. The reasoning behind this law is, of course, to protect the duck itself from harm. Ducks, like all birds, are protected under the Migratory Bird Act. This protects them from being hunted and from being harmed in all different kinds of ways.
2. Ducks Are Protected
This may seem a little obvious, but we would be surprised if someone had hit a duck and thought it was perfectly fine to keep driving. Unfortunately, this is what some people think is perfectly acceptable behavior, and we have seen it happen. So, not only is it a crime to hit a duck with your car, but it is also an act of animal cruelty. It is important to remember that even if you think the duck is unharmed, and it probably is, you should still call the authorities to report the incident. If you hit a duck with your car, you need to report it as a hit-and-run. This is because you cannot pick up an injured duck and take it to a vet.
3. It’s A Crime To Harm Wildlife
When you hit a duck with your car, and it is an accident, you don’t have to worry too much. When humans hurt wildlife, it is often accidental, and it is usually due to not taking the necessary precautions when in an animal’s environment. However, when an animal is hurt due to human action, it is an entirely different story. For example, you cannot shoot birds or bats with a BB gun. Nor can you use an air rifle to shoot pigeons. You cannot bait a trap with bacon, and you cannot set a trap that will catch an animal’s leg. You cannot harm any animals or birds, and you certainly cannot hit them with your car. You should be aware, though, that it is not just animals that should be protected.
4. Humane Treatment Of Animals Act
The Humane Treatment of Animals Act is pretty straightforward. It outlines that you cannot “torture, cruelly kill, or cruelly abuse animals.” No one wants to see animals in pain, so it is certainly a good thing that many laws around the world are designed to protect them. This means that you cannot “cruelly kill” an animal by hitting it with your car. The fact that it is illegal to hit a duck with your car is a testament to this. To ignore this law would be completely crass. Animals are helpless enough against humans, and they should not have to suffer any more than they already do.
Where Hitting Ducks May Be Illegal?
- If you live in an area where hitting a duck with your car is illegal, it’s likely because of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Does that mean you can’t hit a duck with your car in New York City? No, you can still hit a duck with your car.
- The NYPD doesn’t have the jurisdiction or the authority to enforce this act. The only agency that enforces this is the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. You’re more likely to get in trouble for hitting a duck or goose with your car in a few specific places.
- If you live in New York City, hitting a duck with your car is illegal because of the state law the city follows. If you live in Washington State, hitting a duck with your car is illegal in most counties. In Washington, you can either be fined or be forced by the government to take a migratory bird class.
How To Avoid Hitting Ducks With Your Car?
- If you live in an area where it’s legal to hit a duck with your car, then you should already know how to avoid hitting a duck with your car. Simply drive more carefully during the spring, summer, and fall. If you live in an area where it’s illegal to hit a duck with your car, then you’ll have to take different precautions.
- To avoid hitting ducks with your car, you can use two strategies: change your driving habits or change the way you perceive the ducks. For example, you can start driving more slowly during the spring, summer, and fall. You can also drive more cautiously at night and during bad weather. Finally, you can work to change the way you perceive the ducks. Rather than seeing them as an obstacle that’s in your way, try seeing them as something more like a squirrel – something that is not an obstacle to your driving but that is simply there.
- If you’re wondering how to avoid hitting a duck with your car, there are a few things you can do. First of all, it’s important to recognize that wildlife is better adapted to living alongside humans than many people realize. If there are ducks in your area, then they know the dangers posed by cars and other motorized vehicles.
- They may not be able to tell where you are located or if your car poses a threat, but they have seen cars before and they know how dangerous they are. Because of this, it’s important that you pay attention while driving. If you see ducks in the road ahead of you, then take extra caution and make sure that you slow down.
- You don’t need to come to a complete stop in order to avoid hitting a duck with your car; just slow down enough so that if the duck takes flight (which is what it will do when it sees you), then it won’t be hit by your car.
- If you’re wondering how to avoid hitting a duck with your car, then the answer is simple. Be careful and pay attention, and drive as if you’re not the only one on the road.
Hitting a duck with your car is completely legal and doesn’t violate any laws. If hitting a duck is against the law in your state, it’s likely due to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. If you live in New York City or Washington State, be aware that hitting a duck with your car may be against the law. You could still get in trouble for hitting a duck with your car, but in general, this is a completely legal act.