Ed Sheeran is one of the most popular artists in the world right now, but that hasn’t stopped him from receiving a lot of hate recently. He’s been accused of being fake, pandering to teen girls, and even culturally appropriating! It’s no secret that Ed has been accused of being thirsty and trying too hard to be famous. In fact, his own song “The Same” makes light of just how much he craves fame. But there are several other reasons why everyone hates Ed Sheeran. Here are 5 reasons why everyone hates Ed Sheeran.
Why Does Everyone Hate Ed Sheeran?
1. He’s Fake
Ed Sheeran is a very talented artist, no one is arguing that point. But many people, including musicians like Justin Bieber, have accused Ed of being fake. Not only is he accused of being fake, but he’s also been accused of copying other people’s styles. In 2015, Ed attempted to address these accusations and claimed that he never set out to be someone he isn’t. But, he’s also been accused of changing his style and pretending to be a different person as it suits him. Ed also has a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve when it comes to thinking of lyrics for his songs. This can be seen in the many breakups he’s experienced, including his most recent split with Cherry Seaborn. Many people have criticized Ed for trying too hard. His songs have often been described as “emotional vlogging”, and it’s hard to be taken seriously when you’re constantly putting your feelings on display.
2. He Panders To Teen Girls
It’s no secret that Ed Sheeran is a big deal with the teenage girl demographic. The problem is that he’s often accused of pandering to this audience. In fact, his song “Perfect” received a lot of criticism for being a little too cheesy, overly emotional, and basically catering to his teenage fanbase. In addition, to “Perfect”, Ed Sheeran has also been criticized for songs like “You Need To Calm Down” and “Symphony” that were written for and about Taylor Swift. Many people have accused Ed of being a “Swiftie Wannabe” and only writing songs for attention. This has certainly given him a negative reputation amongst people who aren’t teenage girls.
3. He’s A Cultural Appropriator
It’s no secret that Ed Sheeran is half-Irish and half-English. But, critics have accused Ed of cultural appropriating as he’s often worn dreadlocks and played around with reggae and calypso music. These two genres are associated with black culture and many people have accused Ed of using these styles as a gimmick to stand out. Ed has also been accused of co-opting the Hawaiian culture. He’s been criticized for wearing the traditional Hawaiian shirt, the “Aloha shirt,” and having his tattoos inked with Hawaiian themes. Since Ed’s first album, he’s worn dreadlocks and been associated with reggae and calypso music. This isn’t a problem if you’re genuinely interested in these genres and cultures. But, many people have accused Ed of being interested in these genres solely for attention and as a gimmick.
4. He’s Arrogant
Ed Sheeran has admitted to being kind of arrogant. But, that hasn’t stopped people from accusing him of being arrogant. In 2015, Ed Sheeran was criticized for being a bit too cocky and arrogant. He received a lot of hate for a statement he made claiming that he didn’t think pop music would be around in 10 years because he wasn’t feeling any of the songs. Ed Sheeran has also been accused of being fake and insincere as he often gushes over people that he’s collaborated and also gushes over his fans. Ed Sheeran has also gotten backlash for giving himself nicknames like “The Ginger Rager” and “The Haircut”.
5. His Music Is Too Mainstream
Ed Sheeran is a talented artist and is definitely one of the biggest artists in the world right now. But, that hasn’t stopped people from accusing his music of being too mainstream. Both “Shape of You” and “Castle on the Hill” were accused of being too pop and too mainstream. Both of these songs were also criticized for sounding too much like Ed’s previous work. Surprisingly, “Perfect” was also accused of being too mainstream. In addition to the songs, Ed Sheeran has also been criticized for touring with Taylor Swift. His relationship with Taylor Swift has been criticized as being too “mainstream”, and he’s even been accused of “selling out”.
What’s So Bad About Ed Sheeran?
- It’s a very common complaint. It seems as though the majority of people who don’t like Ed Sheeran say it’s because his voice just doesn’t suit the music he makes. They say that he has a thin and weak voice and that he sounds like he has a cold when he sings. There are plenty of other artists who have made it big with thin, weak voices, but it seems as though people just don’t like Ed Sheeran in particular. He has also been criticized for not being able to sing live, which is something we will look at later on in this article.
- His lyrics have also come under fire from fans and musicians alike, with many calling them “cheesy,” “insipid,” or even “offensively simplistic.
- Many people who dislike Ed Sheeran’s music point to the fact that he uses the same chord progressions and melodies over and over again in his songs. This is true of many musicians, but Sheeran has been accused of doing it more than most. Many of Sheeran’s songs are based on a single chord progression, which he then repeats over and over again with different lyrics.
- When they first hear a song by Sheeran, some people think they’ve heard it before, because they have. They might not know where they’ve heard it before though; because so many people have also heard Sheeran’s music, the melodies have become familiar to millions of listeners around the world.
- Sheeran has also been accused of taking other artists’ musical ideas and claiming them as his own. He was sued for plagiarizing Marvin Gaye in 2014, for example; and in 2017 he was accused of copying parts of his song “Photograph” from another singer-songwriter called Matt Cardle.
- The lawsuit against him was later dropped however when Cardle decided that there wasn’t enough evidence to prove that the two songs were similar enough for one artist to be taking from another. In response to questions about this issue, Sheeran said: “I think my writing style is very unique I don’t know what I’m doing wrong if you can call it
Why You Should Still Love Ed Sheeran?
- Now that we’ve looked at some of the reasons why so many people hate Ed Sheeran, you may be feeling a little bit confused. If you’re a fan of Ed Sheeran’s music, you may be wondering how you’ll ever be able to enjoy his music again. There are plenty of reasons why you should still love and appreciate Ed Sheeran’s music, even if you can see why people hate him and his music. Here are three reasons why you should still love Ed Sheeran, even if you understand why people hate him.
- The hate brings out the best in him. There’s a saying that the best way to deal with haters is to let them fuel you, and that’s exactly what Sheeran does. He’s been subjected to so much hate over the years that he’s taken it and used it to motivate him to produce even better music.
- He’s a talented musician. There’s no denying that Ed Sheeran is a talented musician. He’s proven himself as a singer-songwriter, guitarist, and drummer over the years. He’s also proven himself as a producer, engineer, and lyricist.
- He’s a humble and down-to-earth guy. One of the biggest complaints about Ed Sheeran is that he’s arrogant and self-centered, but he’s proven to be anything but. He’s stayed humble and down-to-earth throughout his rise to fame, and he’s been genuine and grateful to his fans throughout the whole process.
While it’s no secret that Ed Sheeran has been hit with some hate recently, he’s still one of the most popular and successful artists in the world. It’s important to remember that there will always be people who don’t like or appreciate an artist, no matter how talented they are. And while some of the reasons people hate Ed Sheeran are justified, others are pretty petty and pointless. Ed Sheeran is an amazing artist and will no doubt continue to make great music. Moreover, despite the hate, he is somebody we should listen to because, unlike other edgy artists, he is more likely to be telling the truth. He is just a regular guy who has a talent for writing songs and singing them.